Below are tips that can help any business incorporate people with Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities (IDD) into their workforce
- Adopt diversity and inclusion (D&I) as an organizational strategy and articulate D&I strategies within talent acquisition and talent development initiatives. This recognizes D&I as a critical component of how the organization will accomplish its objectives and aligns D&I goals with pre- and post-hire talent practices.
- Engage and involve leaders, managers and workers who will advocate for individuals with IDD by creating a cross-functional task force that brings together HR, customer service, legal and other key functions. Invite employees who are personally passionate about providing employment opportunities to individuals with IDD and ensure top-down participation in creating IDD-friendly policies and practices.
- Become better informed. Research the resources that are available and connect with local providers or regional chapters of national providers to learn about services available. Develop a menu of resources that can help jumpstart this employment initiative and set expectations for the firm and its employees.
- Open the door to job customization and other creative solutions that can have an impact on productivity and the bottom line by identifying relevant job opportunities. Invite a professional job developer to observe work processes and interview employees to learn about jobs, tasks and the work environment.
- Leverage learning to fully integrate employees with IDD and address challenges. Provide supervisors with training on how to integrate workers with IDD into the fold, with orientation, work instructions, performance and behavior guidelines, and recognition and rewards, just like all employees.
- Promote a culture of inclusion that attracts diverse talent and creates a positive image in the community. Encourage inclusive behavior throughout the firm, truly integrating workers with IDD into the workforce. Treat workers with IDD as employees first, not as disabled employees.
- Celebrate successes. Share IDD employment success stories widely, within the firm, the industry and the community.
The following link is to a short article that takes you through the hiring process from interview to hire and is worth the read;
If you would like to have a job developer from Pearl Buck Center come to your business and help you figure out how best to implement any of these tips, contact us and let’s set up an appointment.
Pearl Buck Center Community Employment Services – email@example.com or 541.484.4666